Saturday 3 May 2014

Dietitian Eats Series: Caitlin Lawson

If you missed the first in the series and are wondering what this is all about click here. But for a quick synopsis- my Dietitan Eats Series is basically a series of food diaries or 'days on a plate' from Dietitians, so you can have a bit of a peek into what the people who've made a career out of food and health eat!

Today? Meet Caitlin


Caitlin Lawson, Accredited Practising Dietitian

Currently working full time at a private hospital in Hurstville as both the Clinical and Food Service Dietitian. This involves analysing and reviewing menu items and recipes to ensure that the hospital is providing both safe and nutritious food to patients. Also consulting with inpatients in the hospital, and providing basic nutrition education to doctors and hospital staff.

Email: caitlin_lawson@hotmail.com 
Food Philosophy: Just because food is healthy, it doesn’t have to mean that it isn’t delicious.


8.30am I had a late start for work this morning so I treated myself to a breakfast date with some friends. This was from Pilgrims Vegetarian Café in Cronulla. I was starving because I had just run the sand dunes and needed to refuel. I ate that whole bowl of their homemade granola, topped with greek yoghurt, berries and honey. To top it off I also enjoyed an apple & berry smoothie. And I tell you, it was delicious.


10am I stop at my favourite coffee shop on the way on the way to work every morning. They make the best coffee, and I always find myself wishing I got the bigger size… but I’ve got to watch those portions! This morning I coupled my coffee with a handful of Almonds.


1pm Because its coming into winter and my office is the definition of an igloo, I’m right into soups for lunch. I make big batches of different soups on Sunday and freeze it for the week. This one is a lentil, cannellini bean and mixed vegetable soup. And it’s so, so tasty.


3.30pm I’m a bit of a fiend for curry and eggs. So naturally I’m a fiend for curried eggs. This is my afternoon tea which is two boiled eggs with a bit of curry powder, and a teaspoon of mayonnaise on rice crackers. 


7pm This meal was actually the highlight of my day. I love salmon. It’s probably my favourite food. Here I tossed some garlic, lemongrass, chilli, coriander and soy in the pan with some broccolini, baby pak choy and diced zucchini. I used the same mix to marinate the salmon before grilling it. This is what I call healthy food that is delicious.


8pm These are special treats that I make every now and again and they are super tasty. Slice a fresh banana, put 1 tsp of natural peanut butter between 2 slices and dunk in dark chocolate – refrigerate or freeze then eat. I love these; I just have to exercise some self control around them! It’s very hard to stop at one with these babies.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment