Wednesday 21 May 2014

Dietitian Eats Series: Morgan Brown

After a very brief hiatus, Dietitian Eats is back! Showing you what Dietitians really eat and giving you some ideas for your own healthy eating. Make sure you go back and read all the ones you may have missed too! (Or click on the links below). There has been:
- Me
- Caitlin
- Laura
- Kate
- Cath

And today, for number 6 is Morgan!


Morgan Brown, Accredited Practising Dietitian

Currently working as a Community Dietitian in Queensland. She's also about to launch her own food and health blog (so watch this space!).
 
Food Philosophy: Like all my fellow dietitians who have been featured in this series, I love food and everything about it – cooking with it, eating it and discovering new and exciting things about it. My food philosophy is simple- eat healthy, delicious, nutrient-dense foods (preferably from the 5 core food groups which make up the Australian Dietary Guidelines) 80% of the time. That way you can treat yourself 20% of the time. 
 
 
 
7am At the moment I am training for a half marathon which is due to take place in Brisbane during August. In preparation for this, I am doing loads of aerobic and interval training. This morning was no exception- I had just completed a 16km run and was starving by time I returned home. So I decided to have 2 eggs on toast (soy and linseed) with 1/2 a smashed avocado, some rocket and fetta drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I’ve always been a big breakfast person, and if I’m not having eggs of some sort I’ll have oats with fruit and soy milk.

 

10.30am This is one of my favourite snacks and it’s simple to prepare- 1 small handful of natural almonds and ½ cup of frozen blue berries.


1pm Today I had leftovers for lunch, which I love doing! Homemade vegetarian curry with pumpkin, chickpeas, cauliflower and kale. I like to include as many different coloured vegetables as I can at lunch as they help to bulk out my meals and make sure I am meeting my veggie serves. If I’m not having leftovers, I’ll usually have a mixed salad with brown rice and canned tuna or salmon, or a toasted sandwich with a side salad.

 
 
3pm I don’t always have an afternoon snack - it usually depends on what I am doing and if I’m feeling hungry or not. Today I walked up to my local cafĂ© and brought a small soy latte. I usually have 1 coffee per day and 1-2 cups of green tea.
 

7pm Like breakfast, dinner is one of my favourite meals. I really enjoy cooking with fresh ingredients and love experimenting with new recipes. Tonight was beef stir fry, cooked with pumpkin, carrots, broccoli and silver beet. I also crushed up a few unsalted peanuts for garnishing. I made the marinade from scratch using salt reduced soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli, lime juice, tamarind paste and a small squeeze of natural honey.  Dinner usually includes 1 serve of meat or meat alternative, ½ plate of veggies and 1-2 serves of low GI carbohydrates. Tonight I’m having some brown rice as this is a great source of fibre which helps to keep me feeling fuller for longer.



8pm I always have yoghurt after dinner, usually with different fruits, seeds and nuts. Tonight I had low fat Greek yoghurt with 1 small plum and pumpkin seeds. With all my main meals and snacks I drink water.
 
 


 

2 comments: