The other weekend I had it in my mind that I wanted to bake a healthy slice. So I looked through all my recipe books and searched online, with no luck! Eventually I came across a date and coconut slice recipe from One Handed Cooks but after pressing the mixture into the pan realised I had forgotten a key ingredient- the coconut! As it turns out, the coconut on the top of the slice rather than mixed in it turned out really well as it gave a lovely toasted coconut flavour. You'll notice there's no sugar in this recipe which is because the dates give a lovely natural sweetness without being over-powering. This slice makes a great healthy snack!
Toasted Coconut & Date Slice
1 C pitted dates, roughly chopped
½ C water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 C wholemeal plain flour
1 C rolled oats
¼ C flaked almonds
1.5Tbsp (30g) table spread, melted (or oil)
½ C apple puree
¼ C desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a 20cm square dish with baking paper.
- Put dates and water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the water is just absorbed and the dates are smooth.
- Remove date mixture from heat and add lemon juice and apple puree.
- Combine flour, oats, almonds and table spread or oil in a medium sized bowl. Add dates and stir to combine.
- Press mixture in square dish and sprinkle with coconut. Bake for ~25 minutes or until slice is cooked and coconut is golden.
Makes 16 squares