I made the recipe serve 2 by using a small tin of red kidney beans but if you want to feed the family use a 400g can of red kidney beans and 2x400g cans of diced tomatoes instead of fresh (no-added salt versions of course!). Serve with a piece of toast and dip away…
Spicy tomato & bean baked eggs
|*Mexican chilli powder is a spice mix of |
paprika, chilli, cumin, oregano, pepper
& garlic. I used Masterfoods Mexican
Chilli Powder Medium.
1/4 large brown onion, diced
1/2 large red capsicum, roughly chopped
3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
125g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp minced garlic
Minced or fresh chilli, optional, amount to your liking (I used 1/2 tsp minced)
1/2 Tbsp Mexican chilli powder*
2 Tbsp grated parmesan
Parsley, chopped, to garnish
2 slices wholegrain bread
- Saute onion in a small saucepan over low-medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add garlic, chilli and Mexican chilli powder.
- Add capsicum and cook until just tender. Add tomatoes and red kidney beans and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide mixture among 2 individual oven-proof dishes (such as 2-cup capacity ramekins). Make a well in the centres and crack an egg into each. Top with parmesan.
- Bake at 200°C for around 10 minutes or until eggs are just set.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with wholegrain toast.