Here's another meal idea to add to the collection. The combination of chilli and lime is a great one, which I adapted from an Australian Healthy Food Guide Magazine recipe. But I think teaming it with minted quinoa definitely adds a whole other dimension! Never cooked with quinoa before? Well now's the time to start. With three times the fibre of brown rice and a complete protein source (not to mention a whole host of vitamins and minerals), this low G.I., gluten-free grain has truly earned the 'superfood' title it's been given. For this recipe I served it hot, but it is just as good cold in salads. So make extra quinoa for your lunches!
Chilli-Lime Chicken with Minted Quinoa and Asian Greens
2 long red chillies, deseeded and chopped finely, OR 3-4 tsp minced chilli
4 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp fish sauce
4 tsp grated fresh ginger (or equivalent minced)
2 tsp castor sugar
500g chicken breast, diced into large chunks
~8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1-2hours (so they don't burn)
1 C quinoa
Small handful mint leaves, finely chopped (approx. 2-3Tbsp)
4C Asian greens (I used bok choy, broccolini and green beans, but you could also use zucchini or spinach if you had those handy, or any other green veg)
|I used tri-coloured quinoa but any colour will do!|
- Place chilli, lime juice, fish sauce, ginger and sugar in a shallow (non-metallic) bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add marinade to the chicken, stir to coat and set aside (in the fridge) for at least 10mins (I usually leave it for around 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under running water to remove the bitter outer coating (you can also pre-soak in hot water for 15mins before rinsing but this is optional). Add quinoa to a medium saucepan with 1.5C water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer with the lid on for 10-15minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5mins before fluffing with a fork and stirring though mint. Keep hot.
- Thread chicken onto pre-soaked wooden skewers and cook on a BBQ or grill pan on medium-high until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, stir-fry the green veggies in a large fry-pan until just cooked (you could also steam these). Squeeze one of the lime wedges over the greens.
- Serve skewers with quinoa, greens and extra lime wedges