These stuffed capsicums are so easy and nutritious and they taste good too! Filled with lean beef mince, kidney beans, brown rice and grated veg, they're packed full of fibre, protein, vitamins A and C and one stuffed capsicum has around three serves of veg!
They're also versatile. Serve as individual capsicums or half capsicums with a green side salad. The 'stuffing' is also just as good on its own and is great as lunch leftovers with some baby spinach tossed through it.
250g lean beef mince
½ medium brown onion, finely diced
1 tsp garlic
2 Tbsp tomato paste
125g can red kidney beans (or four bean mix)
1 C grated carrot
1 C grated zucchini
2 tsp mixed herbs
4-6 red capsicums (1 per person), hollowed out
½ C brown rice
- Cook rice (takes ~30mins. Alternatively, use microwavable brown rice)
- Cook hollowed capsicums at 200°C for ~20mins or until soft and starting to blister
- Meanwhile sauté onion and garlic, add mince and herbs and cook well.
- Add tomato paste, tomato, beans and grated vegetables. Cook on low until vegetables are cooked.
- Drain excess water from capsicums and stuff. Bake for a further 5-10mins.
Note: You can cook the capsicums whole or as halves, depending on how you wish to serve them. Try grating a little parmesan or reduced fat tasty cheese on top before baking for the last 5-10 minutes.